Legal Advice

How to apply for a residence permit in Greece based on civil partnership

Δάφνη Σιώπη. Δικηγορικό γραφείο.

According to No. 23443/2011 Common Ministerial Decision, third-country citizens are allowed to enter and reside in Greece, on the condition that they are mates of a Greek or an EU citizen, with whom they maintain a stable relationship duly proved. The above non-EU citizens have the right to stay in Greece for up to three months per semester without any conditions or wording, if they are holders of a valid passport or visa and they accompany or go to meet the Greek or EU citizen.

Non-EU citizens wishing to stay in the country for more than three (3) months, must apply to the Directorate for Migration Policy of the General Secretariat for Population and Social Cohesion of the Ministry of the Interior, within their authorized time of their legitimate residence in Greece, if they meet the following conditions:

  1. They possess a passport or other travel document in force.
  2. They demonstrate the stable residence of the Greek or EU citizen in Greece.
  3. They have a common home with the Greek or EU citizen.
  4. They demonstrate in writing their stable relationship with the Greek or EU citizen.
  5. They have full sickness insurance coverage.

As evidence of the stability of the relationship, can be considered the registered partnership or the existence of a common or adopted child of the applicant and the Greek or EU citizen. The stability of the relationship may also arise from the fact that they have joint long-term legal, social or financial commitments.

Based on the above, it is possible to obtain a residence permit in Greece, if the foreigner (third-country citizen) and the Greek or EU citizen enter into a civil partnership. Note that, under the Law 4356/2015, it is now possible for same-sex couples to enter into a civil partnership too. The contraction of the civil partnership shall be by signing a notarial authentic instrument by the parties concerned, which must then be registered in the registry of their place of residence in order to be valid. In order to sign the civil partnership contract before the Notary, it is necessary for the non-EU citizen to hold a valid visa (type C or type D).

After entering into a civil partnership and registering the notarial contract to the competent Registry, the non-EU citizen may apply to the competent department of the Ministry of the Interior for the issue of a residence permit. In this case, he must submit with the application the following documentation:

  1. Copy of his passport with a valid entry visa, where applicable.
  2. Certificate of registration of the citizen of the European Commission or a copy of the identity card of the Greek or EU citizen.
  3. Certification of an insurance institution to cover the costs of hospitalization and medical care.
  4. Documents proving the common residence (i.e. lease contract, accounts etc.).

The residence permit is granted by a decision of the Minister of the Interior, has a validity of one (1) year and can be renewed for another two (2) years under the same conditions.


*Our office has great experience in immigration cases, having assisted clients from allover the world to obtain residence permit in Greece. For further information, feel free to contact our Office at Tel. No +30 2313 079293 and via email at*


Dafni I. Siopi

Attorney at Law, LLM

52 Tsimiski Str, Thessaloniki

T. +30 2313 079293, +30 6977 568673